Tuesday 15 October 2013

CONOPHYTUM CUTTINGS


Cuttings from Chris Rodgerson as an example but I use the same method for cuttings from my own plants. 

Chris Rodgerson  issues a Conophytum list each September mostly offering cuttings. 

Two plants obtained in 2012 now rooted.


CONOPHYTUM  FRATERNUM  SH2009


CONOPHYTUM  CHAUVINIAE  ARM1270
Cuttings from the 2013 list.


CONOPHYTUM  LONGIBRACTEATUM  R&Y1839

CONOPHYTUM  OBSCURUM  CR1435
Conophytums root easily. I use my normal potting mix which is kept moist while rooting. Some heat may be needed later in the season.


CONOPHYTUM  UVIFORME  CR1161


CONOPHYTUM  OBCORDELLUM ARM606






2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that most mesemb growers, at least those relatively new to mesembs, don't think about rooting cuttings as a means of propagation. I've never done it with lithops, but I have with many other mesembs. What's the components of your normal potting mix? From the photos is looks like it has a hard, or at least firm surface. The color is very dark, do you use some type of compost? Potting mixes of course are an endless topic with succulent growers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I propagate Lithops from seed but many other mesembs from cuttings. Conophytums seem to work very well. Seedlings give a choice but with a cutting you get a replica which can be nice if you want a certain form.
      My potting mix is John Innes compost [a loam based compost], sharp sand and gravel. I had just watered the pots so the surface looks dark and firm.

      Delete